Cervical cancer is a deadly disease that happens when cells of the cervix begin to grow abnormally. It is usually caused by certain types of HPV, a sexually transmitted virus.
Our goal is to help you prevent it or discover it in the early stages when it can be treated.
Some of the early signs of this cancer include:
- Unusual spotting or bleeding between periods or after menopause
- Persistent pain in the pelvic area or lower back
- Longer or heavier periods
- Increased vaginal discharge
- Pain or bleeding with intercourse
If you are experiencing these symptoms, please contact us as soon as possible to schedule an appointment.
Your best line of defense in protecting yourself from cervical cancer is the HPV vaccine, which is available for men and women between the ages of 9 and 45. We encourage you to learn if this is an option for you and your children as it can truly save lives.
It is also important to stay current with annual women’s wellness exams, pap smears, and HPV screening. These screenings can catch abnormal cells early when treatment is simpler and more effective.
Other ways to protect yourself are to:
- Use condoms – they offer a lot of protection but you can still contract HPV through skin to skin contact in other areas
- Stop smoking
- Limit your number of sexual partners
If you are due or overdue for your annual preventive screenings or have concerns about HPV or cervical cancer, please give us a call.
Miracle Orchids Medical Center – Fountain Valley, CA – (714) 486-1228